Monday, July 27, 2009

Questionnaire for Canditates

Since Ellen Tauscher was selected for a position in the Obama administration, CA's 10th Congressional District is without a Representative. So we are going to have a special election on Sep. 1 of this year.

This past Saturday night, I looked up a list of who's running for the office, and sent each of the candidates (those I could find the contact information for, anyway) a questionnaire.

I sent it to:

Mark DeSaulnier
Adriel Hampton
David Harmer
Anthony Woods
David Peterson
Joan Buchanan

I attempted to submit it to Chris Bunch, but he doesn't list his email address, and his Contact page only allows 500 characters in the Message box. I'm going to send him the same slimmed down version that I sent to Jeremy Cloward.

Also, after reviewing Mr. Cloward's web page, I sent him a second question.

Now, I do not actually expect that these individuals, busy as they are, will be able respond to each question fully. But there are things you can learn from what someone doesn't say and how they don't say it, so I think that what responses I do get will be enlightening nonetheless.

I will post their responses as comments below, including when they responded.



BEGIN EMAIL:

[Greeting here],

I am in the process of determining to whom I, through my vote, will grant the high and distinguished privilege to represent to our Federal Government my interests as a free Citizen of the sovereign Republic of California, and of the City of Fairfield in particular. To help me in this determination, I would like to pose the following questions to you.

1. Have you read and understood the entire Constitution of the United States, including all of it's Amendments? Please explain why or why not.

2. How do you understand #1 to relate (or not) to your Duties as a Legislator?

3. What do the words "protect," "preserve," and "defend," mean to you and how will they affect your Duties as a Legislator?

4. How do you define "Rights" and "Privileges"? How does this apply to me as a Person? To the States, both individually and collectively?

5. What is your specific understanding and opinion regarding the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 9th, 10th, 14th, and 17th Amendments specifically? (Feel free to address any that aren't listed here also.)

6. What, in your opinion, are my options, as a Person and Citizen, to address and/or remedy any breach, intentional or otherwise, of any of the provisions or prohibitions of the Constitution by any Entity or Person?

7. What, in your opinion, are the options of the City of Fairfield, Solano County, and the State of California, respectively, to address and/or remedy any breach, intentional or otherwise, of any of the provisions or prohibitions of the Constitution by any Entity or Person?

8. What is your understanding of the word "Lawful," and how does it affect to my Duty (or lack thereof) to obey Legislation, Executive Orders, etc. produced by the Federal Government?

9. What do you consider necessary, if anything, to a proper understanding of the text of the Constitution?

10. How do you determine if, in your opinion, a Resolution, Bill, Law, or other Statement having the force of Law (for example, an Executive Order) is Lawful under the Constitution?

11. If a Resolution, Bill, Law, or other Statement having the force of Law ("Law") is not Lawful under the Constitution, what are my options as a Person, and as a Citizen in regards to that Law? Your options as a Legislator? Our State's options?

Your response, or lack thereof, to these questions will be sufficient to allow me to judge your viability to the Office you seek.

I eagerly await your response.

Your potential constituent,

Steve Allen
Citizen, City of Fairfield



SLIMMED DOWN VERSION:

Have you read the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States, in their entirety? If not, why not, do you plan to (and when)? If so, please explain what they mean to you, and how they will affect your duties as a legislator.



SECOND QUESTION FOR MR. CLOWARD:

Have you read Karl Marx's "Communist Manifesto". If so, what does it mean to you, and how will it affect your duties as a legislator?

3 comments:

  1. Response from Adriel Hampton, 7/26/2009, 7:55 AM:

    "Steve, I appreciate your time to put together these questions. I have read the Constitution and Amendments, and in fact, sat down and did so again right before launching my campaign. I believe that citizens with a high-school level education can have reasoned discussions about its intent and effect.

    Would that answering your questions in full and earning your vote would decide this election. However, my limited time does not allow me to answer detailed questionnaires from each voter. I have made public a large volume of writing and will continue to publish, as I can, completed copies of questionnaires at www.adriel4congress.wordpress.com

    - Adriel Hampton"

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1st Response from Jeremy Cloward, 7/26/2009 6:46 PM:

    "Steve,

    I have read both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution (I teach political science and as a class we go through the Constitution fairly thoroughly). The Declaration of Independence is our founder's declaration of independence from the British crown and was a necessary document. I agree with its basic argument and its most significant sentence, "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."

    The Constitution is a document that outlines the power of the government over the people as well as the people's power over the state (i.e., the government, e.g., the people's protection from the state as outlined in the Bill of Rights). Each are solid documents and I agree with the basic tenets of each one as well as the general organization of the government as spelled out in the Constitution.

    Each document would affect me as a legislator in that I would try to uphold the basic principle of equality as spelled out in the Declaration of Independence and ensure that people's "General Welfare" is provided for as spelled out in the Constitution.

    I hope this helps,

    Jeremy Cloward, Ph.D.
    The Green Party of the United States
    Candidate for the 10th District of California to
    the United States House of Representatives"

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2nd Response from Jeremy Cloward, 7/26/2009 6:34 PM:

    "Steve,

    I have read through Marx's work and I think the class analysis is a good analysis of the capitalist economic system in general. It would affect my work as legislator in that I would be interested in pursuing policies that are based on economic equality and justice.

    Jeremy Cloward, Ph.D.
    The Green Party of the United States
    Candidate for the 10th District of California to
    the United States House of Representatives"

    ReplyDelete

Note: Comments are moderated loosely. Please keep it cordial and relevant to the post topic.